Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The MMA fighter is using his body, which is what I'm saying, whereas the Calvin Klein model is just an appearance. In the movie he says "Is that what a man looks like?" What he's implying is that a man is beyond appearances. The body should be the byproduct of his lifestyle, his mission. A man that has a shitty lifestyle (9-5 office job) and then has a ripped body, is dealing with appearances. If you go deeper, he is implying that a ripped body should come from a fearless man, one who is not afraid to fight. In other words, the "fake" man has all those muscles, but you could slap the shit out of his scared ass. Just like someone who knows kung fu but in real life is helpless and will get killed.

Anyways, I can't dumb this down any further. Read some literature.
    The Qlue, simple perspectives on life.

Anyways, I can't dumb this down any further. Read some literature.

There is nothing else to argue, because we are actually agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlue View Post
    That's because Tyler Durden is a figment imaginative character that the main character created in his neurosis as an example of who he would like to be had he not bought into the matrix bullshit of needing money, status, and possessions. As you can see his "ideal" self, aka TD, is not deluded from the bullshit, has no fear of death/living, and fucks chicks. The main character is an unfit depressed slob suffering from insomnia who works a desk job, Tyler Durden is a fit fearless "perfect" self, who the main character wishes to be, so he acts as if.

Did you watch the end of the movie?

Also the term "self-destruction" is referring to destroying the ego. What's the point of self-improvement if you're afraid of living life. You need LESS bullshit, not more. This is why he takes the guys into a car and crashes the car, to get them to face death so that they can appreciate life. This is why he puts the gun to the convenience store clerks head and says "If you're not achieving your dream I will find you and kill you", again, to wake people up from their 9-5 daily routine and to live their life, he does this by putting the gun to his head so that he realizes that this could be the final moment he is alive and up until now he has nothing to show for it. See Ijjjji's quote.

He laughs at the ripped body, because what's the use of being strong when you don't use your strength? It's just for appearances, and appearances are fake. E.g. ripped guy who works 9-5 office job vs strong man because farms and works his off all day. One is real, the other is fake.

"Who you were in fight club is not who you were in the rest of the world. The guy who came to fight club for the first time, his ass was a wad of cookie dough, after a few weeks, he was carved out of wood"
    Love that movie, I think it might be the first "red pill" movie ever made. Definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things> i've always wondered if there was a buddhist/advaita subtext with the ego-death like in the matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post

Fight Club is a movie (or a book for those who have read it), an enjoyable one. Though some people tend to see in it some deep, paradigm shifting truth and are so impressed and marked by it. You'll find pictures of "deep" quotes by Tyler Durden everywhere on Facebook of people who actually identify themselves to that..

In that scene where Ed Norton and Brad Pitt hop on the bus, Ed looks at a Calvin Klein ripped men in their undies, and Tyler laughs at them ... And I was like "Hmmm.. Tyler Durden didn't get that ripped body like that, now did he".. He laughs at guys for doing something he does himself.

I say Fight Club is more than a movie for people who are still looking for themselves. As is "Into The Wild" which is like the shittiest movie people love, with the shittiest actor's game there is, and the shittiest script with an obvious shitty message.
    I have felt that truly understanding why dudes in the West have mini-orgasms when talking about Fight Club or Ayn Rand is an index of how much you "get" Western culture.

I still don't fully get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevLifestyleDesign View Post
    Love that movie, I think it might be the first "red pill" movie ever made.
    Technically speaking The Matrix is the first "red pill" movie, since "red pill" comes from it. Kubrick's movies are older and they are simply brilliant. (see: 2001/Clockwork orange/Eyes wide shut).

But what you see in those movies is far older, and it's Nietzsche. I'm not going to go into details about Nietzsche's philosophy here, as much as I love him, but one of his main ideas is the superman (not the one with the laser eyes), For Nietzsche the modern man is for the superman what the ape is for the modern man, another step in evolution, the return to the instincts that the modern man has lost. Fight club does a great job in remarking this, the first part of the film shows the modern man, without natural instincts, robotics, searching for someone to save them. Then appears Tyler, the good Tyler, the savior, who wants to awake people and return them to a dionysian state, whether if that's good or bad isn't up to us, it's beyond good and evil.

It's pretty obvious and direct in Fight club I think, finding it in Kubrick's work is a little more difficult, but when you do it you understand one of the great masters of cinema of all times.
    A great essay about 2001 and Nietzsche: http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0013.html

Quote Originally Posted by hangman View Post
    I have felt that truly understanding why dudes in the West have mini-orgasms when talking about Fight Club or Ayn Rand is an index of how much you "get" Western culture.

I still don't fully get it.

Oh I "get" why dudes have mini-orgasms when talking about Fight Club. In my experience, the excitement someone has for Fight Club or thinking about Tyler Durden is a good index on how well he identifies with Edward Norton's character, and how far he is from everything Tyler Durden represents.

I can get that Tyler's character can impress an adolescent who's searching for "himself" and sees in him an ideal of "coolness". But an adult "looking up" to Tyler Durden is just weird on so many different levels.

It's a fun movie, in my opinion, but the only ones who're really hyper about it are guys who don't get laid and somehow, try to emulate Tyler in the hopes of appealing to "ladies".

Getting that excited about it is a sign of latent homosexuality, too. I'd rather be gay for Don Corleone

Oh and anybody who gives me the thing that we don't get the message about consumption, materialistic capitalist society isn't right in the head. We get the message. It's fucking obvious a teenager can get. Heck it's in the darn script.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Spending time watching MMA matches organized in China after a 2 hours session of Muai Thai is way more interesting than that garbage.

I'd rather be gay for Don Corleone

+1 I love 2 parts of Godfather. I also love reading about Otto Von Bismarck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post

I can get that Tyler's character can impress an adolescent who's searching for "himself" and sees in him an ideal of "coolness". But an adult "looking up" to Tyler Durden is just weird on so many different levels.
    That and if I read red pill, blue pill or matrix I just go to sleep...

But I was once there and I totally digged Tyler. Always another level :-)

Brad Pitts physique, zzzzzzz. Next topic! ;-)

ancestor

I have always thought that expensive and extravagant lifestyles don't equal happiness, infact I think it can lead to depression. I grew up in a somewhat materialistic family that lived in a county known for keeping up with Joneses. Not a good way to live or raise kids despite what it looks like on the surface.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more they will hate those who speak it" -- George Orwell

-By god I am ashamed.. I so hate when people spam the new subject in numerous threads.
    -Not only did I violate my own value.. I did it for the subject that is about having LESS of all things..
    -Anyways, I think this is 'the thread' on minimalism, so very sorry to have spawned another one:
    Minimalism - my take on it
    -Needless to say, I feel continued discussion ought to happen here - not there.
    Loves: Shy Girl-coding into Starry-eyed Extroversion, spamming Open-loops and Mini-cold-reads and lots of light kino.
    Hates: Putting pressure on others. Things that feel 'brainy'.