Close

Thread: Gymnastic Rings

This post has been ranked 1.00 out of 10 with 1 votes.

Gymnastic Rings

Tested this for a mini WO in my shed, for the first time today.
    -Did only pull ups and dips. 1 set each.
    -Surprised how much heavier it was, compared to using dip rack / pullup rack.
    -Felt like worked more muscles, compared to rack.
    -Body feels kinda shaky after only a very short routine.
    Loves: Shy Girl-coding into Starry-eyed Extroversion, spamming Open-loops and Mini-cold-reads and lots of light kino.
    Hates: Putting pressure on others. Things that feel 'brainy'.

Were you feeling inspired by Conor McGregor? Only athlete I've seen *(On video) going for that method.

Personally I think the new trend is swinging two large ropes up and down. *(Seems to do wonders for the arms)
    Is this all in my head? You don't
    move like a normal girl - Normal girls
    don't look like that, not in their eyes
    or the way you orchestrate my butterflies

Brett McGibbon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahFeqo1iiU

I was just looking for something I can use at home, with a low space requirement.
    Lots of things are great, depending on goals. The rope thing originates from boxing iirc.
    Loves: Shy Girl-coding into Starry-eyed Extroversion, spamming Open-loops and Mini-cold-reads and lots of light kino.

my 2 cents on this kinda stuff is that most things are overrated and the basics get you 90% of results

if you really wanna be elite level tho i guess go for it. but i might just be massively arrogant and ignorant too haha

Wow just wow these doms. I feel like a tree, in regards to moving. Hardly unexpected though, doing something I have never done before.

Yea, whenever some top top strength/explosive athletes are interviewed, I see a bias towards the basic strength/weight lifting exercises. (Fighters are the exception.. probably in order to avoid weight gain..)

Quote Originally Posted by ijjjji View Post
    Wow just wow these doms. I feel like a tree, in regards to moving. Hardly unexpected though, doing something I have never done before.

Yea, whenever some top top strength/explosive athletes are interviewed, I see a bias towards the basic strength/weight lifting exercises. (Fighters are the exception.. probably in order to avoid weight gain..)
    When I fought I still did heavy lifting. There is a culture in martial arts thats averse to heavy lifting. But the dudes who lifted heavy definitely showed results in the ring- explosiveness and to some degree, power (genetics is more important when it comes to power). Weight control is all diet and cardio and I always did okay with weight control. The only real drawback of lifting is that it is so taxing on your muscles, it hinders your training in other areas, which is more important if you have a fight coming up. You need recovery time to gain strength.

If you wanna gain muscle seriously nothing beats bench deadlift squat and vertical press. Throw in pullups too. I really don't waste time with anything else. If results aren't good, you aren't resting and eating right.
    "A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered."

Made a short rope with a loop in each end today, and did some lifting with weights swinging from it. The difference is noticeable imo. Im not sure why only a slight pendulum action seems to make a difference. Im guessing that the muscle works a lot harder when a directional variance is detected. Makes me think of a snowball, and how you want to press it from all sides to make it hard - not just two. (Fore those who live with snow and can relate..) Similarly, the muscle tension becoming so much stronger with the swinging weight.

Im trying to have carbs only on the peak DOMS day.. Rest of the time its just milk and meat. (Iknow milk has carbs, but they are fundamentallly different from starch and sugars.)

Quote Originally Posted by ijjjji View Post
    Made a short rope with a loop in each end today, and did some lifting with weights swinging from it. The difference is noticeable imo. Im not sure why only a slight pendulum action seems to make a difference. Im guessing that the muscle works a lot harder when a directional variance is detected. Makes me think of a snowball, and how you want to press it from all sides to make it hard - not just two. (Fore those who live with snow and can relate..) Similarly, the muscle tension becoming so much stronger with the swinging weight.

Im trying to have carbs only on the peak DOMS day.. Rest of the time its just milk and meat. (Iknow milk has carbs, but they are fundamentallly different from starch and sugars.)
    Lets your muscles connect better
    Its like, contraction in nature is usually rythmic, so when stresses that isolate muscles are more balance based, the isolated muscle saves less of its energy for surprise compensations (rythm implies predictability)

I always liked doing planche pushups rather than just bench press, cuz the resulting muscle is less like a hydrolic machine, and more lean and "carrved" into your form.

Rings honestly sounds pretty good for abs, back, shoulders, forearms, tricepts, and bicepts

Update! Ive been doing this 2x pr week for 2 months now. (dips and pullups)
    -Unlike squats/deadlifts, Im finding that these combine well with heavy calorie restriction!
    -It is also nice to see arms not shrinking from the rapid weight loss, like Ive seen in the past.
    -Very easy to go into 'negatives' (beyond failure) at end of sets. The ultimate strength/mass builder.

I only wish I had a bigger shed. There are so many awesome exercises I could do if I just had a bit more space.