Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This post has been ranked 10.00 out of 10 with 1 votes.

CMF thats exactly how I usually refer to meditation: it's the practice of directing and sustaining attention on something.

What happens if you keep attention in one place, is that it starts straying less to others (something with the brain activity slowing down on those unfocused areas). Thats why you gain peace of mind: all other areas are unfocused on and die down, giving you control of your attention, less distractions or undeliberate switching of attention and instead it goes where you want and you gain control and clarity (the clarity mainly from removing the clutter)

Once you can direct your attention and are aware when it shifts, you bring it back.. the more you keep you attention on where you want it, the less it shifts to where you don't intend it to go. This makes it easier to sustain it in one place, sustain = one place and not often switching to another.

In short, learning to focus attention where you want, makes clutter die down by unfocusing from it, that way you gain even more control (less undeliberate attention switching) and you can sustain attention = relevant to trance

This post has been ranked 10.00 out of 10 with 1 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by pureevil View Post
    Really interesting stuff to me. The brain is a very interesting creature.
    I hold this view too but meanwhile I think at least in my case my fascination for the brain and spirit and the unconcious is responsible for some of my mental struggle.
    I see this in several other guys too. People who are into mind empowering stuff like meditation, alpha waves, etc... I think they hold some beliefs about about the brain that others not. I cannot say exactly what it is yet. I guess It is something like get your brain right and everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CrassMoFuggah View Post
    secondly. is it really true that you aim to get to a place of "no thought". and furthermore, is it really true that you actually get there ??

perhaps my confusion is around language, but perhaps other people may also be confused, so I want to take a minute to elaborate. meditation is not about "spacing out", and its not about "going to sleep". on the contrary, meditation is about a highly engaged mind. furthermore, meditation is not about controlling your thoughts. instead it is about controlling your attention. thoughts will come, that is inevitable. over time and with practice they will be less intense, less haphazard. but they will still come. The key is to not judge them. they are not good or bad. they just are. and same with you: you are neither strong nor weak, good nor bad at meditating. you just are. observe "hey, im thinking about XYZ now. thats OK. ill re-direct my attention back to my breath".
    Did you not read my post? I've hardly described it as easy peasy "spacing out" "falling asleep," my posts have expressed surprise at what a very tough mental challenge it is. I've used words like "assault" and "tough mental exercise" and "inevitable surrender" haha. Falling asleep is the exact opposite, thats when you give into your subconscious and let it take over.

I think we're meaning the same thing with "trying to keep a clear mind" and "focusing your attention on one thing," just a choice of words I guess, they're both about managing focus. In attempting to become fully aware of and in control of your focus, you become aware of how much subconscious brain activity is CONSTANTLY trying to pull your focus elsewhere and influence your thoughts and attention outside of your control, and over time you gain increasing control over it and can identify where these subconscious influences may be coming from and thus re-direct them, eliminate them, improved upon them, fix them. This appears to be the main point of meditation, to become aware of and quiet your ongoing influential subconscious brain activity, in order to gain more control of your mind and focus.

I'm following the advice of a highly successful extremely grounded friend of mine, on how he has approached meditation for years. I'm not full blind here. But I'm not gonna read the Power of Now and dive into the meditation "scene," I just want to self-explore my own mind for my own reasons at this point. Its very fascinating, this whole thing. The brain is a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Beckstar101 View Post
    I hold this view too but meanwhile I think at least in my case my fascination for the brain and spirit and the unconcious is responsible for some of my mental struggle.
    I see this in several other guys too. People who are into mind empowering stuff like meditation, alpha waves, etc... I think they hold some beliefs about about the brain that others not. I cannot say exactly what it is yet. I guess It is something like get your brain right and everything is fine.
    Yeah I have no idea here. I'm not a hardcase I'm 38 I'm already successful at what I do and get laid as much as I need. I want to gain a bit more control over my mental processes, that's my reason for doing it.

I definitely agree in general, that if you're not an "action taker" already then get the fuck OUT of your mind and go take action. I can easily see meditation as a crutch. Its just an exercise to gain a bit of mental control, that's all I see it as at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by pureevil View Post
    Did you not read my post? I've hardly described it as easy peasy "spacing out" "falling asleep," ...
    yea, sorry for adding to any confusion. it was not my intention to put those words into your mouth, only to use them to create a contrast with meditation being an active mental activity.

I think we're meaning the same thing with "trying to keep a clear mind" and "focusing your attention on one thing," just a choice of words I guess, they're both about managing focus.
    yes.