Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else NOT use Facebook?

Shackleton

Does anyone else NOT use Facebook?

I feel like the last human on earth without a Facebook profile.

My reasons for not using it-

1. False sense of validation/Internet addiction

2. Privacy

3. Don't feel cool enough (related to point 1– don't have tons of cool pics to upload and cool friends to add)

But I'm beginning to think I'm missing out. I know lots of you guys pull ass via Facebook, and friends sometimes use Facebook to communicate social events and get togethers.

So far I've judged Facebook a waste of time and potentially damaging via weird psychological shit associated with having an online "identity" (stalking, being stalked, seeking false validation online, deluding myself, feeling inadequate, etc)

Any socially successful guys out there NOT using Facebook? I would love to hear your stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post

I feel like the last human on earth without a Facebook profile.
    So far I've judged Facebook a waste of time and potentially damaging .....
    Any socially successful guys out there NOT using Facebook? I would love to hear your stories.

I am not using Facebook, the primary reasons being lack of privacy and waste of time. I do not know whether I could call myself socially successful, as I am an introvert with few friends (most people bore me), but I am certainly successful in getting sex (3 current FB/MLTRs in addition to a beautiful and smart younger wife).

So here.

The Tough Love Mod NiccoloDaVinci's Avatar
    I consider Facebook to be a technology of my generation.

Therefore, I chose to use it to stay up-to-date.

Of your reasons Shackleton, I feel that in my case, only #1 (false validation) applies.

I don't post what I don't want others to know (#2), I don't care if other people think I'm uncool (#3).

Nick
    Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility lies in being superior to your former self. -Hemingway

Shackleton
    Staying up to date is a damn good reason.

I am very very seriously considering taking the plunge...but the last thing I need in my life is another distraction.

Getting banned from OKC has had a positive impact on my mind. Not sure I wanna fill that validation seeking hole with FB. :/

I am not on facebook, and I say this proudly!
    I know friends who instead of going out and socializing in the REAL WORLD, stay in on that stupid site. I deleted my profile along with three other people who realised how time consuming, and addictive it can become. It gives people a FALSE sense of who they are. Many people can stay inside, and feel validated and can get fat and eat chocolate, and people will STILL call them hot.

People should get out and smell the fresh air! and get involved in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    Staying up to date is a damn good reason.

I am very very seriously considering taking the plunge...but the last thing I need in my life is another distraction.

Getting banned from OKC has had a positive impact on my mind. Not sure I wanna fill that validation seeking hole with FB. :/
    All the more reason NOT TO JOIN.

You won't be any better off if you join it, I guarantee

Unless you have a business and want to promote it the sheople,
    I WOULD RECCOMEND, steer clear!
    winning!

I'm considering getting rid of mine. I feel FB can only do more harm than good. What, potentially, are you going to get out of facebook (other than validation, which none of us should need anyway)? You aren't going to get laid off of it, and potentially something you post can come back to bite you in the ass.

The only reason I'm on it now is it is my only means of contacting some people I would like to keep in touch with.

Last year around this time, an older friend of mine dared me to get rid of Facebook. I took him up on it, and I have SO much more time to be productive. And you don't really miss out on anything, either. You hear the important news the old-fashioned way.

The Tough Love Mod NiccoloDaVinci's Avatar
    I just want to add that I know 0 girls in real life that are not on facebook + my friends on facebook.

Also, I have 2 male friends that are not on facebook. We used to be friends. But then I moved to another city. Now we are simply acquaintances, because I mostly use facebook to stay in contact. Also, these two missed out on a whole lot of parties, because nowadays people don't send texts anymore to invite their friends to parties or gigs, they simply make an "event" on facebook and add whoever they want to come.

I honestly believe, even with all the downsides, that not having facebook in this day and age is a social liability.

Nick

Unless you are the dominant center of a huge vibrant social circle. Then it's "cool" to not have facebook. But only then.
    Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility lies in being superior to your former self. -Hemingway

I don't use it. I've had some education as a computer programmer in school, so even if I don't do too much programming nowadays and are not up-to-date, I can imagine what the people at facebook could do with all the data, and I don't like it. With all the "like"-Buttons jumping up on other sites, too, it's getting worse, for they could possibly read everything you do. It's closed code, after all, so no one except them know what they really do, as far as I know.

I've never signed up, but just using 3, 4 people who invited me via my personal email, they could figure out my full name, post adress, where I went to school, the dormitory I live now, my telephone number and 6 out of 8 guesses for possible friends were real people I knew quite well. The more people who use facebook, the more they will know just by combining all the data and using heuristics. I would not care too much if the code was open source because then you could be sure a lot of people would watch out for bad stuff, but if it's closed, you cannot really trust it.

About the organizational things, all the people at the university use it, and they do not send messages any more. But there are a lot of people who will just walk up to me and tell me all the details I have to know. I just miss out a lot of useless discussion where they quarrel on facebook about things that don't matter to me anyway.

I think social networks are an amazing tool, if it's used correctly. Check out the Diaspora project, they are already alpha now, it's open source and they are really focussed on keeping your data your data. When this one is running, I will probably check it out.

I have actually made the experience that a lot of people complement me on not using facebook. It's like not wearing shoes (which I do a lot). A lot of people suddenly have respect for you because you DON'T do what everyone does consciously (!). In these times, real eye-to-eye contact is becoming even more valuable than in past times, so if you are the guy who will offer that, that's really a cool treat to have. Facebook (and all technology) is a tool that can be used, but (as with many other tools) you have to watch out not to become the tool of it, always checking if someone posted something new.

Have a nice, relaxed sunday.
    Jester

I don't use it. It made me feel worse about myself and it absorbed a lot of my time.