Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: How To Soft Next: Step-by-step instructions and answers to questions

  1. #1
    Guru Blackdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,406

    How To Soft Next: Step-by-step instructions and answers to questions

    How To Soft Next: Step-By-Step

    My flowchart has sparked a discussion about soft nexting, both on how to do it, and if to do it. Soft nexting is a big topic so I will only summarize here, but I will try to cover all the areas guys ask the most questions about.

    I have made this post in the poly forum primarily because guys in monogamous relationships are going to find soft nexting very difficult emotionally, if not impossible. I rarely expect a guy in a monogamous relationship to actually soft next his gal. This is because of the neediness, oneitis, and scarcity frame the system of monogamy tends to create. Threaten a soft next, perhaps, but not actually do it. That being said, soft nexting can and should be done in monogamous relationships. It will help immensely.

    One last point before I get into the specifics. Soft nexting is impossible if you live with a woman. That’s right. It’s impossible. Even if the relationship is a poly one, it will be impossible to properly execute a soft next if you both live full-time in the same home. (I have addressed complicated workarounds elsewhere, when I talk about the various types of live-in OLTRs.) Yeah, you could leave and get a hotel room for a night or two, but that’s not a soft next, that's just pouting. She’s knows you’ll have to come back, thus the removal of attention is not as powerful. This is why if you live with a woman you’re just going to have to put up with more drama than normal, even if the relationship is an OLTR. (Notice I have not moved in with a woman yet, even though it’s been almost six years since my divorce. This is the reason.)

    Soft nexts work because it is removal of attention. Women crave attention from you more than anything else. Yelling at them, arguing with them, threatening them is all ATTENTION, thus these things will do very little to actually improve her behavior. Worse, these things usually just encourage a woman to give you even more drama. Soft nexting them is removing their attention, which is very powerful.

    Okay, here’s how you soft next:

    1. As soon as she starts giving you drama, give her about 20 to 30 seconds to say what’s bothering her. After that, if she keeps giving you drama (yelling, complaining, crying, refusing sex, demanding, whatever), immediately execute the soft next. Do this IMMEDIATELY. Do not argue with her for 20 minutes then soft next. No, no, no. A soft next must be done immediately or else it just looks like you’re pouting because you “didn’t get your way”.

    2. STAY CALM. DON'T GET MAD. SAY NOTHING. DON’T TALK. SHUT UP.

    3. Simply get up, grab your coat, walk out, get in your car, and drive away. If she screams something like "Where are you going?" or "Don't walk away from me!" or "If you walk out that door don't ever call me ever again!", JUST IGNORE HER and LEAVE. BE A MAN AND CONTROL YOURSELF.

    4. As you’re driving away, turn off your cell phone so she can’t call or text you. Because believe me, she will.

    5. If you’re at a location where she doesn't have her own car, grab your keys and calmly say "let's go". Then drive her directly to her home, drop her off, and leave. If it's a more minor offense, or a first offense, I might say something like "would you like to go home?" That either shuts her up, in which case I'll relent, or she'll continue the drama or answer "yes", in which case we get into my car and I drive her home.

    6. While you drive her home, DON’T TALK TO HER. Turn the car radio to your favorite station and listen to music during the drive. If she really pesters you, just calmly answer, “I’m not discussing this.”

    7. I’ll say it again. DON’T TALK. DON’T ARGUE. DON’T GET MAD. DON’T EXPLAIN YOUR ACTIONS. With some of you more emotional or talkative guys, the urge to yell back at her or defend yourself is going to be overwhelming. Fight it. Be a man, and stay the course.

    8. Once you’re gone from her, do not communicate with her in any way for 3 to 7 days (depending on the severity of the drama she gave you). If she contacts you, calls you, emails you, texts you, IGNORE IT AND DON’T RESPOND. I don’t care if she calls you 30 times in a row. If she does this, turn off your cell phone and wait two hours.

    9. This step isn't mandatory, but I strongly recommend it. Any email, text, or voice mail she sends you during the soft next period, DELETE IT WITHOUT READING IT (or listening to it). I'm serious. It's just going to be full of angry irrational chick-logic BS that she's going to completely forget about in a few days. Reading this shit will just upset you for NO REASON. Just delete it and move on with your life. Quoting Tub: "Treat her words like the inane babble of a small child." At this point in the game, that's all it is.

    10.Very important: During the soft next you should either go fuck other women or refocus on your MISSION. Ideally, you should do both (though if you’re in a monogamous relationship I guess you can’t fuck other women…yuck). I've made it a habit of immediately fucking another woman as soon as I soft next a chick, like that evening (unless it really is too late in the evening.) This does wonders for your abundance mentality and outcome independence. The last thing you want to be doing during a soft next is moping around and pining away for her.

    11. Contact her 3 to 7 days later LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED. Just send her a text and say “Damn it’s cold today!” or “Hey that movie is coming out on Friday! Let’s go see it.” LITERALLY like NOTHING HAPPENED. If you executed the soft next correctly, she’ll resume the conversation and the relationship like nothing ever happened. Then proceed with your relationship. When you meet up with her again, you'll find her shockingly nice, happy, fun, and thankful. Try it and you'll see.

    Now for objections / questions:

    “This sounds like a pussy move. A real man confronts these issues.”
    These aren't "issues". This is DRAMA. A NEEDY man confronts stupid drama. A real man DOESN’T TOLERATE drama. If she throws drama at you and you throw it back at her, you are NEEDY. If instead you roll your eyes and leave her and go fuck someone else, you’re a MAN.

    “What if she has a legitimate problem to discuss? How can you ever discuss it if you next her all the time?”
    A woman is more than welcome to discuss a problem in your relationship as long as she remains civil and calm. If a woman calmly comes to me and says “Hey, Blackdragon, there’s something that’s really bothering me. Can we talk about <whatever>?” That’s totally fine, and of course I’ll talk to her and get as deep as she likes. I have done this many times. But if she’s bitching at me, or raising her voice at me, or crying “at” me, or threatening me, or barking orders at me, INSTANT SOFT NEXT! And I DON'T CARE IF SHE HAS A GOOD POINT. As I always say, THE REASON FOR THE DRAMA IS IRRELEVANT. DRAMA IS CHILDISH AND UNACCEPTABLE and I don't have time for it. If she really wants to discuss the issue calmly with me, she’s more than welcome to do that WHEN THE SOFT NEXT IS OVER.

    “What if after you resume with her she still wants to argue about that same issue?”
    Again, that’s fine, as long as she remains calm and adult this time. However once you start soft-nexting women, you’ll find that 95% of the time, the cause of the drama was stupid, irrational, irrelevant shit, and she knows it. Post-next she won’t want to talk about it, because she knows she was acting like a childish bitch.

    “20 or 30 seconds sounds a little harsh. I don’t mind if she goes longer than that.”
    This is a common thing I hear from mono-dudes. Well, that’s your decision. I don’t ever want to hear you complaining about all the drama in your relationship then. The longer you wait to next, A) the less effective the next is and B) the more future drama you encourage from her, because she knows she’ll have your ATTENTION for much longer stretches.

    Think about it. Is the goal to shorten spurts of drama when they happen, or is it to have LESS DRAMA OVERALL? If your goal is less drama, you need to soft next FAST.

    “I don’t know if I want to do this. She might not come back after the soft next.”
    Then you have oneitis, and you REALLY need to next her and GFTOW. Right now.

    “Well I can’t soft next her because <insert logistical excuse here>.”
    <logistical excuse> could be anything from “I rent my apartment from her dad” to “We live together” to “we have a baby together” to “her roommate is my best friend” to whatever. These are complex topics well beyond the scope of this post, and I discuss these situations in my ebooks and other places. Just remember that any time you put yourself in a situation with a woman where soft nexting is going to be difficult or impossible, you’ll have to learn to put up with more drama and betaization and expect some of it in advance. It’s part of the deal. If you don't like it, don't get yourself in those situations in the first place.

    “Oh this is bullshit. Women won’t want to just ‘pick up like nothing happened’. They’ll still be mad and now they'll be really pissed at you!”
    Whenever I hear this excuse I know I’m talking to someone who’s never soft nexted a woman before, because that almost never happens. Stop being a pussy KJ and give it a shot. You’ll see how well it works.

    "What if you're both somewhere, you try to drive her home, and she won't leave?"
    That is a very, very serious offense, worthy of a hard next or a very long (many weeks) soft next. If she physically refuses to be moved no matter what you tell her, just get away from her and as soon as she calms down, get her in the car and get her home. Then HARD next that bitch. Or at a minimum give her a very, very long soft next. (Years ago I had an MLTR do this to me. I nexted her for three months and she hated it. I finally resumed with her but, over her objections, I locked her forevermore into the distant FB-only category. Most men don't have the balls to do this kind of thing and should probably just HARD next if a woman pulls this kind of shit. A woman physically refusing to leave when asked is serious business.)
    Last edited by Blackdragon; 09-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
    The Blackdragon Blog

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Central USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,084
    What if, during the first or second day of the soft next, she just shows up at your house or is waiting for you by your car? You ask, "What are you doing here?" and she says, "We need to talk. Stop ignoring me." What do you do then?
    SLUT SHAMING IS HATRED OF MEN

  3. #3
    Guru Blackdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by NWP View Post
    What if, during the first or second day of the soft next, she just shows up at your house or is waiting for you by your car? You ask, "What are you doing here?" and she says, "We need to talk. Stop ignoring me." What do you do then?
    I have been soft nexting women for years and I have never had anything like that happen. If that happens, that means your EFA was way off well before the soft next ever happened, and you have much bigger problems in your relationship than your soft nexting technique.

    That being said, I would say something like, “Sure, we can talk about it. Let’s meet up on Thursday. Right now I have to get to work.” If she was calm and rational I’d schedule a meet with her on my phone, then get in my car and drive away.

    If she was not calm and rational and started throwing a fit or something, I would ignore her, get in my car, drive away, then hard next. Then I would ask myself how I fucked up my EFA so badly to create this situation, and learn from it and make sure I never did it again.
    How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
    The Blackdragon Blog

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
    I have been soft nexting women for years and I have never had anything like that happen. If that happens, that means your EFA was way off well before the soft next ever happened, and you have much bigger problems in your relationship than your soft nexting technique.

    That being said, I would say something like, “Sure, we can talk about it. Let’s meet up on Thursday. Right now I have to get to work.” If she was calm and rational I’d schedule a meet with her on my phone, then get in my car and drive away.

    If she was not calm and rational and started throwing a fit or something, I would ignore her, get in my car, drive away, then hard next. Then I would ask myself how I fucked up my EFA so badly to create this situation, and learn from it and make sure I never did it again.

    Another brilliant post... keep them coming BD

  5. #5
    Member donkaktus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Spain
    Age
    31
    Posts
    648
    I'm actually a monogamy guy who DOES soft next like this from time to time, and BlackDragon is right, it works.

    But, BlackDragon is ALSO right that being in a monogamous relationship makes it more difficult to soft next, and that I don't do it as much as I probably should.

    AND BlackDragon is right that as a result I put up with more drama as a consequence of not soft nexting immediately after the first 30 seconds of drama.

    I guess ol' BD has a pretty good handle on all this. We should listen to what he has to say...

  6. #6
    Member christpuncher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Age
    27
    Posts
    64
    Question: How do you implement the soft next if you have plans made with the girl during the next day or two?

    Scenarios

    1) You have a tentative plan to hang out/go to dinner etc.

    2) You have made firm-ish plans to attend a social/family/work event, and you still intend to go. (What changes if the event is "hers" instead of "yours" ?)

    3) You have solid plans that you've paid money for, together. Eg. Concert tickets, weekend getaway, longer vacation out of town.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Central USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
    That being said, I would say something like, “Sure, we can talk about it. Let’s meet up on Thursday. Right now I have to get to work.” If she was calm and rational I’d schedule a meet with her on my phone, then get in my car and drive away.
    Okay, so in that one special circumstance, you would talk about it with her when meeting up on Thursday instead of pretending it never happened. So what would you say?
    SLUT SHAMING IS HATRED OF MEN

  8. #8
    Guru Blackdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,406
    Jesus guys. You guys are really reaching for excuses to not do this. But this one time I'll bite...

    Quote Originally Posted by christpuncher View Post
    Question: How do you implement the soft next if you have plans made with the girl during the next day or two?
    Cancel the plans. Worst case, send her a single text that says "I won't be able to make it on Tuesday."

    You have a tentative plan to hang out/go to dinner etc.
    Cancel it. Don't go.

    You have made firm-ish plans to attend a social/family/work event, and you still intend to go. (What changes if the event is "hers" instead of "yours" ?)
    If it's your event, go without her. If it's hers, don't go.

    Canceling these kinds of things during a soft next actually makes the next much more powerful and effective. It shows you're serious. She'll think very hard about pissing you off again.

    You have solid plans that you've paid money for, together. Eg. Concert tickets, weekend getaway, longer vacation out of town.
    If it was something like concert tickets, I would not go. Yes, that means you likely blew your money. Be more careful who you spend money on next time. Sell the tickets on ebay/craigslist, or give them both to her, or give them to a friend, etc. Be creative.

    If it was an actual pre-paid vacation or something like that, and the reason for the soft next was somewhat minor, soft next as best you can, but then go ahead and go with her. If the reason for the soft next was very serious, then you have some difficult decisions to make. It would really depend on the specific circumstances so I couldn't give you more info. Think of it this way: You have a typical monogamous girlfriend and you've both already paid big bucks for a nonrefundable one-week trip to Hawaii. Four days before you leave you find out she just cheated on you. With your brother. What do you do? No easy answers, right? It's the same deal.

    However this is all ridiculous because again, you're really reaching here. Something I've noticed on the forums lately is guys are pulling these 1% probability things out of their asses as an excuse to not do something they know they should be doing. Stop that, and making excuses.

    Quote Originally Posted by NWP View Post
    Okay, so in that one special circumstance, you would talk about it with her when meeting up on Thursday instead of pretending it never happened. So what would you say?
    I addressed that in my OP. I would NOT talk about it unless she insisted, and insisted nicely. Once we met up on Thursday, if she still really, really wanted to discuss whatever issue (which IME is highly unlikely), she would be more than welcome to do so as long as she remained calm and civil. So if we're at lunch on that Thursday and we are discussing a concern of hers and she's being calm and keeping her cool, then no problem. I'll discuss it (to a degree of course, I don't have hour-long conversations about "our relationship"...that's insane, and just a catalyst for drama and rules). If instead she starts raising her voice or threating shit or starts crying, then I immediately stand up, throw some cash on the table to pay for my lunch, walk out, and and immediately execute another soft next and this time it will be much, much longer, likely 2-3 weeks or more (or possibly it will be a hard next depending on the specific circumstances).
    How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
    The Blackdragon Blog

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Central USA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
    Jesus guys. You guys are really reaching for excuses to not do this.
    Not at all! Just because I'm asking questions doesn't mean I won't do something or am looking for a way out of it. It just means I'm asking questions. In fact, me asking questions is a good sign that I will do something. If I didn't want to do something, I would simply not do it, and therefore, not ask any questions about it. I don't need an excuse to not do something. Me not wanting to do it is enough of a good reason (which is not the case here).

    Something I've noticed on the forums lately is guys are pulling these 1% probability things out of their asses as an excuse to not do something they know they should be doing. Stop that, and making excuses.
    LOL! I guess this wouldn't be a good time to mention that I recently advised a client of mine to not get term life insurence with his girlfriend because it gives her motivation to kill him.

    Seriously though, I'm just being precise. That's a good thing. You will never convince me otherwise. I love my lawyer brain. I wish I could kiss it.
    SLUT SHAMING IS HATRED OF MEN

  10. #10
    Member money_matteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    on a beach
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by christpuncher View Post

    1) You have a tentative plan to hang out/go to dinner etc.

    2) You have made firm-ish plans to attend a social/family/work event, and you still intend to go. (What changes if the event is "hers" instead of "yours" ?)

    3) You have solid plans that you've paid money for, together. Eg. Concert tickets, weekend getaway, longer vacation out of town.

    Just to add to what BD already said, these things actually leave you in a stronger position with the soft-next.
    There's more urgency for her to rectify the situation so she doesn't miss out on something she probably really wanted to do.

    Just so you guys know, this really works- so deep down, don't really worry about missing the concert.
    If she knows you mean business, she'll clean her mess up pretty quick.. But by all means be ready to throw it away if she doesn't come around on her own.

    $M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •